Next week marks the TV Upfronts, when television networks showcase the fall season's offerings for Madison Avenue in hopes of booking early ad revenue and generating buzz. It's more generally the place where the networks announce their new fall schedules, as well as the chance for many shows that haven't been renewed to get a last-minute reprieve.
For NBC, it also serves as an opportunity to invest in new digital advertising formats as a way to find audiences. Starting May 17, NBC will be promoting its ‘More Colorful’ fall lineup across 19 of Microsoft’s digital owned and operated properties as well as syndicated partners, which delivers a combined reach of nearly 470 million unique users monthly. To read the press release, click here.
This partnership with NBC involves one or our largest and most comprehensive multi-screen campaigns to date. In addition to developing branded entertainment content and a custom-built “Preview to Fall TV” media hub, the multi-phase campaign engages a host of other innovative digital advertising elements including:
· Windows 7 Theme Packs – Five new theme packs will be available representing different shows for people to download to live on their Windows desktops.
· Virtual Search on Bing – For the first time ever, Microsoft will integrate with Bing’s new virtual search product to allow fans to find photos and videos of NBC shows.
· Massive In-Game Advertising – The first ever social element via Massive; a viral promotion to get gamers to interact with the NBC ‘More Colorful’ content and television shows will extend the console experience to Facebook and other social platforms.
· Microsoft Mobile Advertising - Microsoft will create a custom WAP site with SMS alerts to remind fans to check out the fall lineup.
· Glo –Working with BermanBraun, NBC will showcase some of its fall shows on Glo. NBC ads will also be featured within the Scrapbook and real-time polling.
· WonderWall – Microsoft will create custom games and galleries for Wonderwall featuring NBC content.
· Interactive Windows Live Messenger Panel–Microsoft will create full-screen expandable video ad units out of Messenger.
· Social Networking – Microsoft will create custom social networking targeting scenarios to help NBC reach existing fans and new viewers.
The campaign is designed to engage TV enthusiasts and influencers so they can sample, share and discuss the upcoming fall shows. And no matter which platform they are on, the user experience will map back to NBC’s ‘More Colorful’ marketing, promotion and programming.
The campaign will run in the U.S. only from May 17 through the premiere of the fall schedule. So tune in!