On Tuesday, Mel wrote about how easy it is to get set up with adCenter Analytics. When creating a new profile, he mentioned that you have the choice between manually inserting the tracking script or automating the process.
This latter option can help you get your website ready for adCenter Analytics in just a few clicks. It is a much easier option than adding the script by hand to each of the pages you want to track.
1. If you have the information about the FTP location of your website (FTP Server Name, Username and Password), you can select "Automatically insert the tracking script" on the profile creation page.
2. You are brought to the automatic tracking script insertion page. Notice that Internet Explorer* informs you that an add-on is available.
3. Click on the bar and select “Install ActiveX”
4. When the following security message is shown, click on install.
5. Once the ActiveX is installed, you can click on the Start script insertion wizard button to start the insertion process.
6. Proceed with “Automatically insert tracking script”
7. Fill-in relevant information about your website location by providing FTP connection information. None of this information will be stored by Microsoft. The wizard is performing all its operations from your computer directly.
(1) Type in the address of the FTP server on which your website is located. For example: ftp://myserver.hoster.com
(2) Type in your user name on this FTP server. For example: user.name
(3) Type in the password for that user name on this FTP server. For example P@ssWord
8. The wizard will look for all HTML files on your website. Once done, you can proceed with the insertion, by clicking on “Insert Script”.
9. The operation might take several minutes depending on the size of your website. Do not close the dialog box until the operation has completed!
10. You can check the result of the operation by viewing the tracking script insertion report. In a future post, I will explain how to get the most out of this report.
Thanks for reading and good luck!
* The automatic-insertion option is currently compatible only with Microsoft Internet Explorer. In future releases we plan to make the option compatible with additional web browsers.