We all know that technology is driving change. We’ve seen it happen over the last ten years. Mark Holden, Global Strategy and Planning Director from PHD, shared some particularly interesting insight into what technology may look like in 2016. At Cannes, he asserted that the change in the next five years alone will be more than the last 10 years combined.
Technology in 2016 - Here are a few advancements in technology that peaked my interest.
- A growing number of screens will incorporate Natural User Interface, NUI allows for facial recognition. NUI enables a greater blur between ad break and content as some IP serving programs could tailor delivery of content/ads based on the individual in front of the screen.
- Advanced voice recognition and Virtual Personal Assistants (VPAS) will provide automated services that book appointments to you. Imagine telling your phone you need at flight from Redmond, WA to Nice, France, and it booking you on the perfect British Airways flight with no hassle.
- Marker-less augmented reality (AR) and pattern recognition serves up visual cues in the camera as opposed to by GPS.
- Stop carrying a wallet with near field communication where your phone acts as a payment method connecting your credit cards and accounts to payment systems in stores.
- Search will move from Links to Likes, where Likes inform the search algorithm. You can see a sample of this with our Bing Social demo.
So as a marketer, how do we prepare for 2016? With the proliferation of smart devices, consumers are empowered to make decisions in the moment. Our industry needs to meet consumers where they are, in the now. Marketers must focus on up scaling their services, using data more than ever that enables audience management platforms, and becoming content creators. The race is on to see who can do this first and do it right.
Choice, scale, and efficiency that drives the right ROI for your business is key to winning in 2016. Check out the Microsoft Advertising Ad Exchange, a real-time bidded marketplace where you can reach audiences through high-quality, brand safe inventory more efficiently right now. Did you miss Cannes Lions 2011? Check out our full coverage.
Kaila Lightner, Marketing Manager